About the role
Amazing infrastructure isn't the only thing that gets built here. Incredible careers do too. Join our Highways team as a Senior Quantity Surveyor to work in Winchester and you can build something to be proud of.
- A Senior Quantity Surveyor is an experienced QS who has a track record in managing all costs relating to building and civil engineering projects, from the initial calculations to the final figures;
- Seek to minimise the costs of a project and enhance value for money, while still achieving the required standards and quality;
- Typically they will be a Chartered Member of the RICS, ICES or CIOB;
- Have experience of managing a small team of less experienced commercial staff as well as mentoring others on their journey to becoming professionally qualified.
What you'll be doing
As a Senior Quantity Surveyor you will involve:
- Ordering information and systematically checks data;
- Preparing Activity Schedules, Resource Schedules & analyses tender documents.
- Critically appraises, estimates and negotiates the above with 3rd parties
- Monitoring subcontract activities, measure and respond appropriately;
- Analysing the commercial progress and report to senior project staff;
- Undertaking constructability analyses using construction programmes;
- Preparing procurement programme and helps develop the strategy.
- Analysing rates & prices, agreement of variations and or compensation events as required'
- Preparing, submitting and negotiating claims when required;
- Preparing Internal reports, commercial progress and financial reconciliation.
- Managing HR/People aspects for direct and indirect reports (PDRs etc);
Who we're looking for
Personal Qualities and Experience:
- BSc or MSc in Quantity Surveying or experience equivalent;
- Membership of RICS, ICES or CIOB (or working towards).
- Excellent communicator;
- Achievement Focus (Achieving Results);
- Business and Customer Awareness;
- Applies organisational aims & objectives;
- Identifies with the customer needs;
- Recognises opportunities & threats.
Our Highways Business Unit maintain, manage and operate major highway networks across the UK and support local authorities creating communities where people want to live, work and play.
We provide high quality asset strategy, management and planning consultancy services to a wide range of public and private sector customers. We also provide specialist, reliable, sustainable and creative advice for asset management planning and implementation in the UK.
We create safe, flexible and dynamic public spaces. We are right at the heart of a vital place-shaping agenda that brings together local authorities, local communities, central government and the private sector.
The essential work is to keep daily life moving!
We value diversity and celebrate individual differences, believing that our inclusive culture helps the business continue to grow as a strong, dynamic and innovative organisation.
Balfour Beatty is a corporate signatory to WISE (Women in Science & Engineering). Our aim is to attract more people from diverse backgrounds to help us build on our inclusive culture. We are a member of the workingmums.co.uk Top Employers' Charter through which we demonstrate our commitment to enabling parents to progress and enhance their careers whilst managing the challenges of family life.
Balfour Beatty is also Gold Award holders in the Ministry of Defence 'Employer Recognition Scheme' and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans and reservists.