General Manager and Senior General Manager
REPORTS TO: Director of Operations
Position Summary: The General Manager contributes to the success of Shari's by managing the guest experience, identifying and developing guest-centered team members, monitoring the performance and discipline of team members, maintaining company standards in the areas of cleanliness and sanitation and completing the required administrative duties in a timely manner. The General Manager is also responsible for the financial performance of the restaurant.
Essential Functions: To perform the job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. The duties and responsibilities listed below are those that must be met to successfully perform this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform an essential function.
Salary Exempt: The General Manager is a salaried position.
Guest Experience: Verifies that products and service delivered to the guest meets or exceed expectations. Lead your team members to understand and demonstrate the skills and commitment to Shari's Guest Experience standards and practices. Review and act upon specific guest feedback for the restaurant.
Quality Food and Beverage:
- Assure that Shari's established systems for maintaining restaurant readiness are functional, including but not limited to, BOH checks, product quality, prep, ordering and inventory.
- Regularly expedite the pass bar to train, monitor and coach team members to produce quality food as outlined by Shari's specifications to include cooking, plating, prep, temperature standards and ticket times. Is proficient at using Oasis to direct production and service.
- Continually review and act upon guest feedback by developing restaurant plans to improve guest satisfaction scores for food quality and speed of service.
- Manage the process for rolling out new menu items and promotions include training, implementation and follow up.
- Assure that Shari's established systems for shift operations are functional, including but not limited to FOH log, station assignments, breaks, sidework and shift communication that focuses team members on providing guest service.
- Provide a managing presence on the floor, on the line, or at the pass bar window during peak period when in the restaurant. Use these touch-points to evaluate levels of service and coach team members in providing guest satisfaction.
- Follow up and resolve all guest complaints. Pass along compliments. Evaluate guest feedback plans to address guest concerns regarding service.
- Continually evaluate team member's skills and develop plans for ongoing training and development. Works diligently to build bench strength.
Proper Staffing/Quality and Quantity:
- Assure that the restaurant is properly staffed. Continually conduct interviews to maintain and upgrade talent. Anticipate staffing needs to allow for proper training time.
- Analyze labor and sales trend reports to accurately forecast volume to properly allocate labor hours. Prepare schedules that are operationally functional for guest service and react as volume changes. Develop your assistants' skills in managing labor.
Team Management and Development: Train, develop and hold accountable a team to effectively and profitably operate the restaurant. Manage a work environment that is consistent with Shari's brand and practices. Communicate expected levels of performance and recognize accomplishment. Provide leadership that fosters loyalty and commitment to guests, the team and the company.
- Assure that all team members receive full and complete training following Shari's established training programs. Identify, develop and maintain an adequate number of qualified trainers. Proficient in using PIE, Shari's Training University.
- Evaluate team member performance and provide development and coaching as necessary. Prepare and present regular written reviews for your team.
- Prepare weekly manager meeting, providing direction for restaurant operations and delegate responsibility as needed.
- Motivate team by providing daily praise and coaching feedback on team member performance. Maintain company recognition and reward programs such as the 100 Club, anniversary, certification, guest comments, company contests, company promotions and restaurant's recognition programs.
Human Resources Management and Compliance:
- Lead a team of 2-3 other managers and approximately 40 team members.
- Assure a safe and harassment free work environment, including all government mandated compliance rules. Communicate company policies and procedures as stated in Shari's handbook and hold team members accountable for compliance. Assures that annual compliance is completed. Make the Director of Operations aware of any issues.
- Maintain the restaurant's turnover rate at or below company average.
- Write and present discipline and commendation documents as warranted.
Sanitation and Cleanliness: Develop and maintain restaurant systems to ensure to ensure the safety of our product, our guests and our team members.
- Assure that safety orientation and food safety training for new team members is conducted. Maintain a functional Safety Program and Committee.
- Assure that sidework, deep cleaning and personal hygiene and uniform standards are maintained
- Assure that the restaurant's equipment is in working order, schedule and follow up on any needed repairs.
- Maintain cleanliness systems and levels to ensure that the restaurant passes all state health inspections and internal quality assurances audits
Financial Management: Maximize the business potential of the restaurant through community involvement, implementing company marketing programs, consistently executing company programs. Deliver financial results by managing food, labor and other related costs while adhering to company policies, procedures and operating practices. Communicate the required and necessary information to the district manager to assure successful operation of the restaurant.
- Maintain an expert ability to use sales, labor, food management and service data to improve restaurant operations and financial performance
- Maximize sales opportunities by knowing local market and executing Shari's Service Steps and menu production.
- Responsible for achieving labor budgets by effectively using Shari's scheduling program to properly forecast, schedule, increase staff productivity and managing overtime and average wages. Responsible for achieving food cost budgets by effectively using inventory and ordering programs to decrease food cost and waste. Responsible for achieving other controllable expense budget and maintaining controllable profit to budget or better.
- Develop and execute plans to improve guest feedback scores in the areas of guest satisfaction, speed of service and food quality.
- Properly execute shiftly, daily, weekly and period accounting duties in a timely manner (shift balancing, banking, invoicing, and time card adjustments). Teach management team to properly execute restaurant accounting.
- Properly execute restaurant systems (line checks, inventory, Manager Log Books, and FOH Log Book).
- Hold regular manager meetings to share important information, solicit feedback and provide development for your Assistant Managers. Develop and execute effective team meetings to communicate changes, improve productivity and team morale. Plan and execute shift 1-minute meetings to communicate with team members and prepare them for the shift.
- Ensure that Restaurant Support Center communications and policy changes are effectively disseminated and implemented.
- Develop public speaking skills for use in leading meetings or other training sessions. Write effectively using correct grammar and spelling.
- Keep the District Manager informed about major concerns about product, procedures or team members in a timely manner.
Senior General Manager Duties: The follow duties also apply to those managers designated as Senior General Manager.
Train new assistant managers:
- Make weekly contact with managers who have an assistant in Shari's Management training. Review trainee's progress in PIE University and make regular contact with trainees.
- Collect trainee's weekly development report and forward to the training department.
- Provide training support by participating in online class chats and content evaluation.
Function as the district's test restaurant:
- Receive new products for testing, involve crew in the testing and selling process and provide requested feedback on the product's performance. Maintain a crew that is knowledgeable and involved in menu production and guest service. Test food standards specification for new products and LTOs.
- Conduct guest surveys and forward feedback on to Research and Development.
- Assist the DO with new menu, LTOs, procedures and new equipment implementation within the district.
Early adoption of new programs:
- Give input on new programs and procedures and assist in district implementation.
- Attend training session to review new programs/procedures and provide requested feedback.
- Champion Change: Paves the way for needed changes and manages implementation effectively.
- Seasoned Judgment: Takes all critical information into account when making decisions; makes timely, tough decisions.
- Coach and Develop: Accurately assesses strengths and development needs of team members; gives timely, specific feedback, and helpful coaching; provides challenging assignments and opportunities for development.
- Inspiring Trust: Earns the confidence and trust of others; shows consistency between words, and actions; delivers on commitments; produces high-quality work demonstrates high standards of ethical conduct; protects confidential information; does not omit controversial information or change information to suit others.
- Foster Open Communication: Creates an atmosphere in which timely and high-quality information flows smoothly between self and others; encourages the open expression of ideas and opinions.
- Attracting and Developing Talent: Attracts high caliber people; accurately appraises the strengths and weaknesses of others; provides constructive feedback; develops successors and talent pools.
- Driving Executions: Monitors results; tackles problems directly and with a sense of urgency.
- Shari's Professionalism: Consistently treats individual with dignity and respect, recognizing the importance of cultural differences. Embraces, communicates and demonstrates company values and ethics. Maintains reasonable expectations of self and others when balancing time and performance demands with personal and professional needs.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
- Able to read, write and communicate English well.
- Possess basic math skills needed to calculate budgets, payroll, balance till and complete banking duties.
- Able to drive and hold a valid state drivers license.
- Proven previous management or supervisory experience.
- Able to direct, motivate, discipline and interact with restaurant team.
- Possess reasoning abilities needed to project sales, evaluate budgets and analyze profit statements.
- Able to obtain and maintain an alcohol service permit.
- Able to obtain lottery approval (Oregon)
The General Manger position requires the ability to work approximately 50 hours a week, 10 hours daily. While performing the duties of this position the team member is required to stand and walk continuously for 8-10 hours. Team member will sit occasionally each hour. Team member will continuously be performing hand and wrist work including grasping. Team member will frequently bend and twist. Team member will occasionally push and pull, do fine hand manipulation, reach above the shoulder and kneel or squat. The position seldom requires climb/stairs. Team member will continuously lift or carry 0-10 pounds; frequently lift or carry 11-15 pounds and rarely lift 16-20 pounds. Team member will occasionally use fine manipulation for keyboarding.